Suppressors Are Legal
Suppressors Are Legal, What You Need to Know


The authenticity of the information surrounding the legality, cost, and availability of Silencers / Suppressors, Machine Guns, and Short Barreled Rifles has been anything but favorable in recent past. Only during the last few years has this information began to spread correctly throughout the firearm community and general public. We still meet people regularly who think that Silencers are completely illegal to own for regular people like you and me. In some instances we have met people who understand that they are legal to own but think that they are prohibitively expensive to own. So with that said, here is a quick down and dirty on what you need to know about purchasing an NFA item.

First, let's clear up this whole NFA / CLASS 3 definition.

NFA stands for National Firearms Act which was passed by congress in 1934. Silencers (or suppressors, whatever you want to call it), Short Barreled Rifles (rifles with barrels less than 16 inches), Short Barreled Shotguns (shotguns with barrels less than 18 inches), Destructive Devices (M203 grenade Launcher, M79 grenade launcher, etc.), Machine Guns (self explanatory), and Any Other Weapons (Serbu Super Shorty, Revolver-Knife) are all defined as NFA items which need to be registered with the ATF.

In 1986 the NFA was amended by the Firearm Owners' Protection Act. The amendment made it illegal for civilians to transfer or posses any machine gun manufactured after the act was passed on May 19, 1986. For this reason, there are only a limited number of transferable machine guns in existence which have gone up in value drastically and continue to do so every year.

Class 3, technically known as an SOT, refers to the license that a dealer must posses to sell NFA items. It does not pertain to individuals wanting to purchase NFA items for personal use. You may also hear something about SOTs. That stands for Special Occupational Taxpayer which your NFA dealer MUST be in order to be doing business legally.

With all of that said, here is the major take away.


2. If you can legally purchase a firearm you can legally purchase an NFA item if your State allows it.

3. When you purchase an NFA item from your dealer it is registered to you on an ATF FORM 4.

Second, how do I go about purchasing an NFA item?

Your first step in purchasing an NFA item is to locate a dealer in your area that you can purchase the item through. Once you have located this dealer you need to go in and speak with them about the item that you want to purchase. A good dealer should be able to help you with this process and be knowledgeable about the item or items that you are looking at. Once you have the item picked out that you want to purchase things should follow a particular sequence of events outlined below.

1. Decide based on local laws and personal preference how you will be registering the item, either
A. as an individual
B. on a Trust.

2. Select the item that you want to obtain, and purchase it.

3. With your dealers help, get your paperwork together including fingerprint cards and photographs of all responsible persons and write a $200 check to the ATF for each item your are registering. Submit all of this to the ATF. Submit notification to your CLEO

4. WAIT......8-10 months on average as of April 2017

5. Once your dealer receives your approved FORM 4 from the ATF, come pick up your new NFA item.

The ATF made a series of changes to the process of purchasing an NFA item in July of 2016 called ATF 41F. The major changes are as follows: fingerprints are required for ALL responsible persons, photographs are required for ALL responsible persons, CLEO notification is required for ALL responsible persons. All responsible persons include all trustees when a trust is involved. If you decide to purchase an NFA item from us at AccuTac Arms we have utilize a state of the art FBI certified Livescan fingerprint scanner and photographs, this service is provided free of charge for anyone purchasing an NFA item from us. Additional cards and photographs are available for a small fee.

Register the item to a trust
1.You only need to create the trust once. The same trust can be used for all future NFA items such as short barreled rifles machine-guns or any other weapons.
2. Anyone listed as a trustee in the trust can be in possession of the suppressor
3. A revocable trust can be changed at any time without notifying the ATF

Register the item to a corporation

1. Any officer of the corporation can be in possession of the suppressor
2. If you already have a corporation, this can be easier than a trust since you will avoid the initial trust setup

Register the item in your own name

You can avoid initial work required to setup a trust or corporation. You have to remember that only you can be in possession of the NFA Item.

Here at AccuTac Arms we want to simplify the process as much as possible and we will explain how the transfer process works. NFA transfers can take anywhere from 2-12 months and you have to remember the process starts when your paperwork is sent the the NFA Branch for approval. It is very important to have everything needed. We do not give legal advise or sell trusts.

Third, how much do they actually cost?

This is one area specifically where there is quite a bit of misinformation. Silencers / Suppressors and SBRs can actually be quite affordable. Machine Guns on the other hand can be very expensive depending on which one you are looking at. Here is quick break down on what you can expect to pay for one of these items on average. None of these prices include the cost of your NFA tax - $200 per item - and are not meant to be exact.

Rimfire $250 - $400
Pistol $300 - $900
Rifle $500 - $2000

Registered Receiver - $220 and up
Complete Rifle - $1200 and up

Mac 11 - $5500
UZI - $12500
M16 - $18000

Forth, once I have an NFA item can I decide later to get rid of it?

If you purchased the item from a dealer on a FORM 4 it can be
transferred to someone else at a later point in time if you decide you no longer want it. Whoever it is transferred to will have to pay the $200 NFA tax on the item and wait for the approved FORM 4 to come back before they can take possession of it.

If you still have any questions at all, please feel free to contact us directly and we will try our best to get them answered for you. Thank you.